Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Decking the Halls



I'm currently sitting in my bedroom, A laundry Christmas Tree on top of my bed, listening to the 'Christmas genre' on Pandora (For those who like to mentally paint a picture while reading, Bing Crosby White Christmas playing.)
Usually, when I sit down to relax or write something I like the area I'm in CLEAN. Not clean in a dust free/spotless kinda way (I'm absolutely NOT OCD.) Just a clean to the eye sort of way. SO, this is out of the ordinary for me.
I'm just too excited about Christmas. This time of year I find myself looking for signs of Christmas. Street lights adorned with cheesy decor, My McDonalds coffee cup to change from tan and black to red with white snowflakes (unfortunately still just tan/black )
I've been this way since I can remember.
Before Tim and I got married my Dad warned him that I'd bug him to get down the Christmas Decor, and light up the house WELL before Dec 1st.
(Yes, Tim's already had me bugging him for 3 days now. lol. Poor guy)

I've noticed that my brain doesn't retain details of memories-like say, my sister Jenna's. I wish I was more like her. She can tell you what happened to her at age 8 down to who was there, what was said, etc. My brain DOES however remember vividly how I felt during a certain memory (and what I was wearing :)) Never do I remember a negative feeling during this time of year. Maybe that's why it is so special?
So in dedication to this time of year...here is a few fun decor items I've found.
Let me know if you like them. Remember less is more when decorating for Christmas. Meaning less surfaces should be decorated. Also meaning, don't waist your money on a snowman cover for your toilet seat lid :/
I'd focus on turning a few areas in your house into a winter wonderland, as opposed to just throwing them everywhere with no rhyme or reason. I mean, where's the Christmas spirit in that? Be thoughtful about what you want to do. It shows. You don't need to spend countless hours, but a little thought up front with a little love while putting something together will show and go much further! Trust me! And if you have kids, include them in some of it!
Another important thing for me is setting the mood. Who wants to put up Christmas decor with The Price Is Right on in the background? If it's hot outside, close the blinds, make hot chocolate and put on Pandora Christmas, and even a muted Christmas movie in the background. It's much more fun :)

I do realize I'm a cheeseball. Just so you know.


Ok, I'll start with my favorite find. $5 of each item sold goes to St. Jude. The gift that gives TWICE, You've gotta love the giving spirit in that! Plus it's not lame. I LOVE the modern simple design.
West Elm, Musical Objects
$24-

Might I also add that this would be a super cute hostess gift.









This is another 'Object accessory' it would be beautiful with the one above. I like that it fits the white/modern theme but is a different material. I'm imagining a collection of them on top of a mantle with snow, candles and a hint of greenery. Ahhhhh.




Not a fantastic picture so you will have to use your imagination. They are snowflake lights. These lit up on the mantle idea combo would be so stunning. Great, now I need a mantle :/
Ikea, Kalt Snowflake lights
$15




Please disregard the random styling in this photo :/
I like the idea of holiday artwork. This is so traditional in a very 'now' sort of way.

Etsy Santa Wall Decal
$12


Ikea tends to be a great place for ornaments (some anyway) and gift wrap. I LOVE white in a Christmas tree. Most people pick red and green. The WHOLE TREE IS GREEN PEOPLE! So I tend to stay away from anything green on a tree for lack of POP. I'm not too fond of the red/blue ornaments but lucky for me they sell the white only in sets of four. How pretty is the loop hole. I like that it isn't one of those cheap silver thingamigigers. They are also glass, which always looks nice lit up :)

Ikea, Novita
pack of 4 for $8






These are also super cute! LOVE LOVE the graphic patterns.
Ikea, Novita ornaments
Set of 4 for $4
At that price they'd be so cute tied to the top of your gifts.






So lets talk about gift wrapping. I'm a fan of thoughtful gift wrap. I think it makes the object inside feel genuine and more important, even if little money was spent. One of my favorite things to do is pick a new gift wrap theme each year. Two years ago I used brown craft paper with fun tie-on's and gift tags that were colorful. Last year I found giftwrpa that looked like vintage so the tie on was neutral and simple. Hmm, maybe THIS paper will be this years. It's hard to tell in the picture but it has personality, don't it?
I especially love the one with elf's on it :)
Ikea, Novita
$3 a roll


Just adorable to hold a gift or homemade cookies
(or store bought, if you aren't a baker like me)
Ikea
Set of 3, $8

1 comment: